What is Ransom ware?
Ransom ware is the generic term for any malicious software that, as its name suggests, demands a ransom be paid by the computer�s user. Ransomware will prevent access to files on your computer unless an extortionist amount is paid.
15 Items to Check if You Want To Keep Your System Safe From Ransomware
Excerpt taken from this article https://heimdalsecurity.com/blog/what-is-ransomware-protection/
This is a promise that I want you to make to yourself: that you will take the threat of ransomware seriously and do something about it before it hits your data.
I’ve seen too many cries for help and too many people confused and panicking about a ransomware attack.
How I wish I could say that ransomware is not a life and death kind of situation! But if you work in a hospital and you trigger a crypto-ransomware infection, it could actually endanger lives.
So here’s what I want you to promise me:
Locally, on the PC
- I don’t store important data only on my PC.
- I have 2 backups of my data: on an external hard drive and in the cloud – Dropbox/Google Drive/etc.
- The Dropbox/Google Drive/OneDrive/etc. application on my computer are not turned on by default. I only open them once a day, to sync my data, and close them once this is done.
- My operating system and the software I use is up to date, including the latest security updates.
- For daily use, I don’t use an administrator account on my computer. I use a guest account with limited privileges.
- I have turned off macros in the Microsoft Office suite – Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
In the browser
- I have removed the following plugins from my browsers: Adobe Flash, Adobe Reader, Java and Silverlight. If I absolutely have to use them, I set the browser to ask me if I want to activate these plugins when needed.
- I have adjusted my browsers’ security and privacy settings for increased protection.
- I have removed outdated plugins and add-ons from my browsers. I only kept the ones I use on a daily basis and I keep them updated to the latest version.
- I use an ad blocker to avoid the threat of potentially malicious ads.
- I never open spam emails or emails from unknown senders.
- I never download attachments from spam emails or suspicious emails.
- I never click links in spam emails or suspicious emails.
Anti-ransomware security tools
- I use a reliable, paid antivirus product that includes an automatic update module and a real-time scanner.
- I understand the importance of having a traffic-filtering solution that can provide proactive anti-ransomware protection.